The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Do you LOVE to learn and do you find it exciting to share your knowledge with others?
Are you PASSIONATE about advocating for the rights of survivors of domestic/sexual violence, human trafficking and sharing your passion with others?
Are you HAPPY to speak in public on a subject you are passionate about but that is sometimes difficult for audience members to hear?
Do you LOVE to facilitate educational peer groups with students at local schools, high schools, colleges, civic clubs, etc.?
Does salary motivate your career choices or are you DRIVEN more by the pursuit of social justice and raising awareness about issues affecting your community?
If your answer to the above is YES, then we want you to join us and we have a wonderful opportunity for you to join a small, dynamic team at a local non-profit agency.
The Education & Outreach Advocate addresses the root causes of sexual and domestic violence in Harris County to mobilize the agency’s mission to prevent domestic/sexual violence through the implementation of evidence-based curricula, presentations and community outreach. Participate in local, regional and statewide training addressing primary prevention of sexual and domestic violence. Conduct community outreach to organizations such as, but not limited to, community agencies, elementary, middle and high schools, alternative school settings, local businesses, and other anti-violence agencies in Harris County to reduce beliefs, attitudes and behaviors that support sexual violence.
- Associate Degree in psychology, sociology or a High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of two years’ experience in social services conducting community outreach.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required – must be fully fluent; speaking, reading and writing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate educational group sessions and make public presentations, both in English and Spanish.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and monitor culturally competent programming to youth and adults.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Must have own reliable transportation, maintain clean driving record and current auto liability insurance.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities and work well with little to no supervision at times.
- Must be willing and able to work some evenings, weekends, etc. to meet program needs.
- Must be able to lift/carry up to forty (40) lbs and be able to ascend/descend stairs.
Qualified applicants will submit a letter of interest specifying the position title, along with a current resume via e-mail to Margaret Keenan at firstname.lastname@example.org.