Domestic violence effects our whole community. Each year, a network of passionate domestic violence service providers and sister organizations strive to help Texas families create opportunities for freedom from violence. Yet for too many in our state, help can be out of reach.
This week is all about building connections and recognizing intersections between domestic violence and other social justice and social welfare issues. By building connections with other organizations and passionate individuals in our communities, we strengthen our movement and our state.
Here are just some of the ways domestic violence intersects and connects throughout our communities:
- Tuesday: 80% of homeless women with children have experienced domestic violence in their lifetime.
- Wednesday: Social inequality shapes the options available to survivors for economic stability and safety.
- Thursday: 1 in 4 people in same sex relationships will experience domestic violence – a rate similar to that of people in heterosexual relationships.
- Friday: Healthcare providers play a vital role in addressing domestic violence. Did you know that a victim who talks to her healthcare provider about the abuse is 4 times as likely to get help?
- Saturday: Prevention is a key component in our movement to builder a safer Texas. Check out these resources for putting the “P” in DVAM!