Domestic Violence Curriculum Toolkit for Child Custody Mediators
The 85th Texas Legislature passed SB 539, requiring a minimum of four hours of domestic violence training for child custody mediators. While TCFV’s Public Policy Committee prioritized this requirement during the 85th Session with the intent of educating and influencing mediation professionals with a child and survivor safety perspective, the new requirement is not an endorsement of the mediation process for survivors of domestic violence.
In 2018, TCFV Policy staff will be offering this training in person at forums as well as provide support and technical assistance to local DV programs that are interested in providing the training in their communities.
Any questions regarding this new requirement or the Domestic Violence Curriculum Tool Kit for Child Custody Mediators may be directed to Esmeralda Flores at 512-685-6366.
This four part web based toolkit meets the new requirements per SB 539 for child custody mediators.
How to Access the Webinars
These webinars are only available to TCFV members. Find your password by logging in to your membership account and selecting Member Discounts from the dropdown menu. Organizational members may also find their password by logging into Member Center for organizational members.
This content is protected. Please enter the Access Code to view it.
Help with Training
Accessing the Webinar Room
Having technical difficulty? Try these:
- Check that your system can view the webinar: test your computer ahead of time!
- Ensure Adobe Flash Player is updated and the latest Flash plugin is installed for your browser.
- Always allow Flash to run. This is required to see the webinar.
- Use a supported browser. Webinato functions best with Internet Explorer and is also supported by Firefox, Edge, Safari, and Opera. Chrome does not support Webinato.
- Update your browser.
Still having trouble?
- The Webinato Attendee Support Portal quickly addresses the most common issues.
- But please do not hesitate to contact Webinato’s 24/7 support!
- You can also attend on your mobile device. Search for Webinato in your device’s app store (available for Android and iOS).
Viewing the webinars and supporting documents:
You will need to enter a name and email address to access the webinar room. This does not confirm your attendance for certification, CLEs, or CEUs (see below).
- In Module 1, there is a ringing sound indicating an announcement that will pop up at the bottom of your screen. Identify this announcement and click the ‘x’ button in the corner of the announcement box to stop the ringing sound.
- This pop up will draw your attention to file folder icon at the bottom right hand corner of the webinar screen with related documents and supplemental materials discussed in the webinar. Be sure to open and download each of the handouts accompanying each module.
- Note: If you reload the window, you will need to exit this announcement box again
- You may pause or rewind the webinar as you wish to discuss or review content or to conduct interactive activities.
Receiving your certificate/continuing education credits:
To obtain a certificate and/or continuing education credits, you must complete the follow-up survey at the end of each module.
- After the webinar concludes, the survey evaluation should auto-populate. This may take a few minutes.
- If it does not auto-populate or if you do not want to wait, you can prompt the survey to appear by clicking the internal red ‘x’ inside the red circle in the top right-hand corner of the internal webinar window.
- A message box will then appear with three options; select ‘Exit this webinar’ and the survey will appear.
- Once you complete the survey, a PDF certificate of completion will download onto your internet toolbar. If you do not see this download, make sure pop-ups are not blocked and check your computer’s “Downloads” folder. The certificate will have a blank space for your name and will not be pre-filled with your
- TCFV will report hours to the State Bar on a monthly basis. If you encounter a situation requiring immediate CLE reporting assistance please contact our TA line at 512-794-1133.
- Modules 1 and 2 are accredited for CLE hours. Modules 3 and 4 are accredited for CLE ethics. Each module counts for 1 CLE hour.
- If you have difficulty downloading your certificate after completing the follow-up survey, please contact Esmeralda Flores at 512-685-6366. Please note that you must complete the follow-up survey to receive a certificate.
Items for trainers presenting this curriculum:
- The slide decks are supplied in the handout folder of each webinar in PDF form. Several of the slides contain trainer notes, which can further guide your presentation, in addition to the outward-facing content.
- In the top left-hand corner of each slide containing comments, you will see a yellow comment icon. Select this icon to toggle comments on or off.
- Consult the supplemental sheet(s) in each module for further research and to select one or more interactive activities to conduct with your participants
- Please note that this training should total 4 hours of family violence content. If you abridge any of the content or finish sooner than expected, please utilize interactive activity suggestions from the supplemental sheet to ensure a robust training that is in compliance with statutory requirements.
Still have questions? Contact Esmeralda Flores at 512-685-6366.